This soup was quickly thrown together after a long day… sometimes grocery shopping with a tired brain is the best way to create a tasty meal (or 10 with the power of a crockpot!). The reason for the “mid-week” grocery run… I had a coupon that wasn’t good until the 24th. And I love me some coupons… so we bought just enough to last us until Wednesday then I made a Winn Dixie run. Meal planning has really helped us reduce food waste and cost 🙂 BUT anyways, enough of that talk, how about a recipe?!?
I wanted: A traditional chili, but the flavor/aroma/kick of a well seasoned taco.
I needed: Some canned beans, tomatoes, and stock to accompany the beef I already had at home (thawing out, thanks David!!)
Result: Ended up with Yet “Another Taco Soup” 🙂
Another Taco Soup
Created by me and my tired (thesis driven) brain.
- 1 or 2 pounds ground beef (I had closer to 2)
- 1 (6oz) can of tomato paste
- 1 (15.5oz) can of black beans (rinsed)
- 1 (15.5oz) can of kidney beans (rinsed)
- 1 (15.25oz) can of corn (rinsed)
- 2 (28oz) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 (~24oz) carton of beef broth
- ~3 tablespoons of taco seasoning
*Here is our homemade recipe. Make some and keep it around- it is great to have on hand and easy to customize depending on your taste buds!
- Salt/Pepper *if needed
*We needed it because when David made the seasoning we were out of salt, so I ended up doing around 3 heavy sprinkles of sea salt.
- Brown the beef… drain the fat… and season the meat with ~2 tablespoons of taco seasoning.
*At this point… I dipped out 5 ounces of the beef because David needed dinner. But you could easily skip that minor detail, although David would happily come over and have nachos anytime 😉
- Have your crockpot out and ready. I turned it on low and added the beef, stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, rinsed/drained beans, and rinsed/drained corn.
- Cook overnight on low. Or whatever is convenient… technically all ingredients are cooked and edible, but I like letting it cook for a bit for the flavors to develop.
- If cooked overnight or “x” amount of time, take the lid off and add 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning (a little salt if needed) and give it a nice stir. If you want it more flavorful or you were a bit shy with seasoning the beef, add more seasoning 😉
- Serve it up with chips/avocado/lime/greek yogurt/sour cream or whatever you have/desire!
Serves around 10 bowls… or more/less depending on who you are feeding!
Y’all, this is good soup. I mean when we opened the lid, and the smell of taco hit us. A good smell in this home! It is a bit thicker, like chili, because of the tomato paste. And has a tiny bit of spice because of the taco seasoning. THEN you get a spoonful with some corn in it and BAM a tad of sweetness 🙂 The corn also adds a pop of color… then dark red kidney beans and black beans do the same while adding some good protein/the cozy soup feel.
I love my wooden spatula pictured above. Has the “Stokes” on it… great wedding gift from Williams-Sonoma! Hahah if you ever try to steal it, I will know 😉 Hahah like those pens with “This pen was stolen from… blah blah blah.” Funny stuff… so go make this soup. It is easy on the budget because of the canned products (I think they are always on sale 10 for $10 I feel like!). It might be just perfect for this weekend… when cooler air will invade Tuscaloosa!
Invasion… of the TV is happening today! In the form of AT&T U-Verse… cable and internet will be here 🙂 We have been without since last Tuesday. Luckily we aren’t big TV people… but I am so ready to be able to watch my shows LIVE! And having my TV shows helps me know what day it is… Sunday (Revenge), Monday (Football with David), Tuesday (Hart of Dixie), Wednesday (Modern Family), Thursday (The Office and Big Bang Theory), Friday-Sunday (Football with David!). Of course, HGTV and Food Network sprinkled in! With AT&T we get a DVR too even though we got the basic package. SO COOL!
**Update on my friends in Uganda– they need prayers y’all. They did get good news… the passport is in, but now they are telling them the next step can’t happen until NOV 5 🙁 So pray for them please.
Happy Thursday (just typed Wednesday… but I am pretty sure it is Thursday!)!
Time to fire up the crockpot again,